One of the components i have had moste problems with is not on my helicopter, no it is my starter, yep i have had several trips to the flying fields where i was trying to start my helicopter with no luck, because of my starter and mostly because of the starter shaft.
Here in Denmark we are in the winter season at the moment, and that is often where the problems with the strater begins, because a 90 size engien is very hard to turn. The results: lots of thugh on the starter shaft.
My modification to my starter shaft is a result of all the problems i have had with weak spots on the shaft.
First there is the mounting of the shaft on the engien shaft, that was a problem with my shaft, because of the solution from the producer of the shaft. The shaft(One-way) had to be clamp around the engien shaft, and the didn’t last for one start.
Here is my solution: drill a hole all the way through the starter shaft(One-way mount), and there was a hole in the starter engien shaft, and then place a solid metal, i tried with a screw and that broke right over, a solid metal stick and then clamp the shaft around the aks. That was a lasting solution.
Then there was the hex mount in the starter shaft(One-way mount), not a good solution, hold the hex with a small screw, that lasted for some starts of the engien, but mostly when the winter startes, it breaks one way or the other. I did try to drill a hole all the way through the hex, but the metal that it is made of are exstreamly hard, could not drill a hole in the hex. Then i changed the screw from a 3 to a 4 mm and i hope that will last better, add lots of lock-tit.
To the producersers of starter shafts please take this information to consideration for the next starter shaft design, that will help alot, thanks.